Re: Why focus on systemd?

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 November 2014 at 07:05, lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Freedesktop just provides hosting. Substitute Sourceforge for
>>> Freedesktop and see how well your "theory" flies.
>>
>> "freedesktop.org is open source / open discussion software projects
>> working on interoperability and shared technology for X Window System
>> desktops. The most famous X desktops are GNOME and KDE, but developers
>> working on any Linux/UNIX GUI technology are welcome to participate."[1]
>
> How does that demonstrate that the systemd project is not "hosted" by
> freedesktop.org?
>
> Did your lips get sore or did you not quote the very next paragraph
> for other reasons?
>
> <quote>
> Software
>
> freedesktop.org hosts any "on-topic" software projects</quote>

    on-topic

Well, as long as we are going to look for things to quote on their
front page, let's quote the whole front page:

Welcome to freedesktop.org

freedesktop.org is open source / open discussion software projects
working on interoperability and shared technology for X Window System
desktops. The most famous X desktops are GNOME and KDE, but developers
working on any Linux/UNIX GUI technology are welcome to participate.

freedesktop.org is building a base platform for desktop software on
Linux and UNIX. The elements of this platform have become the backend
for higher-level application-visible APIs such as Qt, GTK+, XUL, VCL,
WINE, GNOME, and KDE. The base platform is both software and
specifications.

Software

freedesktop.org hosts any "on-topic" software projects. If you have a
project that fits into our mission and needs hosting, please make a
request using our bugzilla. Mailing lists about freedesktop software
are hosted here.

Standards

freedesktop.org is not a formal standards organization, though some
see a need for one that covers some of the areas we are working on.
For Linux operating system standards, look at the Linux Standard Base
project. The X.Org Foundation and the IETF are other groups that do
formal standards. The Free Standards Group is one group that publishes
"de jure" standards for free software; freedesktop.org is loosely
affiliated with the FSG.

Unlike a standards organization, freedesktop.org is a "collaboration
zone" where ideas and code are tossed around, and de facto
specifications are encouraged. The primary entry to these discussions
is the xdg mailing list.

Getting Involved

You can get involved in a number of ways. See the MissionStatement for
our principle activities. See GettingInvolved for concrete suggestions
on how you can contribute. See AccountRequests for information on how
to obtain commit access to a project. See NewProject for how to start
a new project.

Contacting freedesktop

If you have any comments or questions about this site please send a
message to the xdg list.

Sponsors

The freedesktop.org servers are generously hosted by Portland State
University. Intel, HP and Google have sponsored the servers themselves
and Collabora are sponsoring sysadmin time.

This wiki is undergoing conversion. If you have a fd.o shell account,
you can help!

Last edited Fri 17 May 2013 10:20:57 PM PDT

FWIW

>> [...]

I have sometimes confused myself by going to opendesktop.org when I
meant to go to freedesktop.org. But I don't think that could be the
cause of the confusion.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well.