Re: Headless server just got suspended by updating systemd

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:50 PM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/11/14 12:46, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>> On 26/11/2014 11:07 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>> And *what do we know about the original "customisation"* that was
>>> made - which may have 'some' bearing on the "badness" of the
>>> upgrade/update "defaults"??
>>
>> Oh, I get it,
>
> Patently, and demonstrably - you do *not*.
>
> Assuming your best intentions[*1], let me try and make it simple for you:-
> It's considered Best Practise to *identify*[*2] the problem *before*
> attempting to *solve* it.

I identified the problem (my always closed and never before suspended
laptop, while I was upgrading through an ssh session, suddenly
suspended during the upgrade); I solved it (found the laptop in
suspend mode, opened the lid, and the upgrade completed). Next problem
identified (now when I closed the lid, the laptop - on AC power but
with no functioning monitor - suspended); I solved it (by Googling and
finding the solution previously posted).

Now, it may be that the "problem" is deeper, and that, as someone else
has suggested, logind by default takes over a function previously
performed by pm-utils, using which (with the xfce GUI interface) I had
told the laptop NOT to suspend even though the lid was closed. (It
lives that way, functioning as a headless server.)

[...]

> In this instance - while Patrick has done the "right" thing by finding
> and publishing a solution, he hasn't provided any information about what
> he originally used for suspend - and how, or if, the laptop was not
> previously suspending. Only that it was a long time ago and he doesn't
> remember
> (<[🔎] CAJVvKsOHyOymUWrDPA1GLC7daqDeFkcPhj_FDV3SXj3wUS-DGw@mail.gmail.com>).

Not sure what that's supposed to be a link to, but I thought I had
made it clear that the laptop lid was closed and the laptop was NOT
suspending. And, as I also said previously, I used the xfce GUI power
manager to control what happened when the lid closed; presumably it
was talking to something further under the hood (pm-utils?) which has
now apparently been overridden by logind.

[...]

> So before debating the upgrade process it 'might' be best to try and
> recreate the scenario don't you think?

That would probably not be possible, although people in this thread
have made what seem to me to be good guesses about what probably
happened. But the upgrade was of over a thousand packages. All I was
trying to do was to provide information which might prove helpful to
others. But apparently one can have every good intention of not
starting a fight on debian-user and a fight breaks out anyway.

Be nice to one another,
Patrick