Re: Headless server just got suspended by updating systemd

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 02:44:19AM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> Or, perhaps a general rule for default settings - "safest/do no harm"?
> [just a wild guess]

Wouldn't it make more sense having the default meaning: guarranteed to
work on the majority of systems/setups enabling the admin to later
change the defaults to better suit their own particular needs.

I remember when (still is?) the default mutt configuration was having no
colors defined so that at least it was still usable on displays without
colour. Now *that's* clever thinking!

Now, (I hope I'm not wrong on this.) It seems that the default GNOME
installation required a graphics card with hardware acceleration. How
stupid is that? It goes against the whole concept of a sensible default.

BTW, along the same lines, I'd expect the default *not* to suspend on
lid-close simply because some models have "quirks" when coming out of
suspend. It should be configurable by the admin whether he¹ wants it that
way.

¹ Yeah yeah or she.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X