Re: Headless server just got suspended by updating systemd

On 11/24/2014 at 02:59 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:58:46PM -0800, Matt Ventura wrote:
>
>> I think the bug here IMO is that a system simply shouldn't *do*
>> things in general without me telling it to. If I close the lid of
>> my laptop, unless I have told it to suspend when I do so, then it
>> shouldn't suspend. I should be telling my machine to do the things
>> I want it to do, not telling it to not do the things I don't want
>> it to do.
>
> That's not the precedent set in Debian for some time now. The
> approach we take is "sensible defaults", and suspend on lid close (at
> least whilst on battery power) is a sensible default.

I seem to recall a discussion some years ago (I think on debian-devel)
where this question came up, and I do not recall the discussion having
settled out with the conclusion you have stated.

My strongest memory of that discussion is someone expressing
incomprehension at the idea of why someone might possibly want a laptop
to suspend when closing the lid, and of writing a post explaining one
possible reason why (involving parallelism with "wake up on lid open").

Personally, I suspect that the only reason "suspend on lid close" is
thought of as a sensible default is because so many other (non-*nix)
systems already do it, not because of anything inherent to the behavior
or to lid-close themselves.

--
   The Wanderer