Re: iceweasel and dolphin

On 26/11/14 04:45, Matthias Bodenbinder wrote:
> Scott, you made my day! Your email helped me to solve the issue.
> Thanks a lot.
>
> dolphin was set as my default file browser: 2# xdg-mime query default
> inode/directory dolphin.desktop
>
> I followed your next advice to disable nautilus in
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services mv org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service
> org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service.bak
>
> After doing that iceweasel used nemo ;-) But not dolphin.
>
> Therefore I edited /usr/share/applications/defaults.list. It listed a
> whole bunch of apps in inode/directory incl. nemo I removed them all
> except for inode/directory=kde4-dolphin.desktop
>
> And that was it! iceweasel now uses dolphin to open folders.
>
> Thanks a lot Matthias

No worries - noticed I'd made a couple of errors, which I'll correct
below, and when I get some time put information up on the Debian Wiki in
case it's of interest to anyone else. FWIW after 12 years of inactivity
there has been recent murmurs on Mozilla of addressing KDE support (I'd
just prefer porting Firefox/Thunderbird to QT - and flying cars).

> PS As soon as I enable "org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service" again,
>  iceweasel switches back to nautilus. Looks like this is leading the
>  mime type assignments.

Yes.

> I would prefer default.list to lead that.

I'm not sure how you'd do that or whether it's possible

Note - my "method" of removing the dbus service file is a cludge and
probably won't survive upgrades, but it breaks nothing in KDE and is
trivial to maintain.

It 'might' be "better" to put a copy of those services files from
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/ into ~/.dbus-1/services and add some sort of
user over-ride into /etc/dbus-1/system.d  - *but* I am just guessing.

I really am, happily, totally clueless when it comes to GNOME (not
opposed to it, just limited in time trying to cover KDE and Fluxbox DE)

> Is that just an iceweasel/firefox thing or intentional for the whole
>  system?

The whole system AFAIK - it's very likely possible to apply more
fine-grained control, I just haven't explored it.

<snipped>

>> *1.* Check that Nautilus isn't set in default apps:- as the usual
>> user:- grep -i nautilus /usr/share/applications/defaults.list if
>> you get a result, as "root":- cp cat
>> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list{,.bak}

CORRECTION

*Should be*
cp /usr/share/applications/defaults.list{,.bak}

<snipped>

>> *Further integration of KDE4 and Iceweasel*

<snipped>

CORRECTION

The following will *only* work with KDE3 (not in Wheezy or later) as
kprint doesn't exist in KDE4. (apologies for not having updated my
Iceweasel references to Wheezy, and failing to notice it doesn't have
the intended effect")
*However* if 'may' work with kprint4 which is available in Jessie and
later. kprint4 dependencies it likely won't install in Wheezy, and I
haven't tried to backport it yet.

>> *To change the print dialog to KDE's kprinter* *1.* Repeat the
>> above process for File Picker, except search for:-
>> print.print_command and change the String value from:- lpr
>> ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"} to:- kprint

<snipped>

Kind regards