Re: Purging a package............... (and apt-config processing order)

On 25/11/14 15:14, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 at 11:03 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> I don't know whether /etc/apt/apt.conf is processed before
>> fragments in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d  - but I'd be interested in
>> learning. Anyone??
>
> Now that you bring it up, I'd be interested in that myself.
> Fortunately, it's trivially discoverable:
>
> $ strace apt-get --dry-run autoremove &>
> /tmp/apt-dryrun-autoremove.strace $ grep apt.conf
> /tmp/apt-dryrun-autoremove.strace
>
> I'm not going to paste the output here, but apparently the
> fragment files are processed first.

Thanks for that - I've added it to my references, along with the
method you used to prove it.

Apropos of which, if it's of interest to anyone:-
*the *.d in a directory name indicates a fragments directory (generally)

*in at least the instance of apt (preferences, conf, and sources) it's
now the "recommended" Best Practise - though I have yet to discover
(mostly through a lack of research) when support for apt.conf and
apt.preferences[*1] will (or if ever) cease to be supported. Again,
I'd be interested in learning. Anyone??

*it 'seems'[*2] it stems from sysv change from a monolithic /etc/rc
conf file to a more easily managed directory of fragments.

[*1] I don't know about sources.list, I use fragments in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d for repositories other than the basic official
Debian ones specific to the release - I don't propose that's the
correct way to do things (and welcome useful comments).
[*2] if it's important - I have only anecdotal support for that,
tenuous, "belief".

Kind regards.