Re: udev memory problem when trying to plug a disk with corrupted partition table

On 21/11/14 06:45, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Scott Ferguson a écrit :
>>
>> Might be worth fscking the disk first in case that's where the problem lies.
>
> Why ? fsck works on filesystems, not disks or partition tables.

Good question - because I didn't spend much time thinking about it, or,
because I haven't used ms-dos partition tables for a very long time? :/

Regardless - maybe badblocks would be a better way of checking if the
problem is a result of damage to where the E(P)BRs are written?
Certainly simpler than examining the E(P)BRs for errors which would be
my next course of action if I had no backups of the disk.

(I suspect) There are at least two possible scenarios(?) which would
result in a problem that the OP is experiencing[*1]:-
;the OP accidentally overwrote an EBR i.e. created another extended
partition at some later point (1st sector of the extended partition?)
;a damaged sector containing an EBR

In the first case parted rescue may/should be able to fix the problem.

The OP could probably get more info by checking the E(P)BRs. The problem
'might' be in the first or last E(P)BR (again, I 'suspect' Martin is
right about the looping)
Perhaps (from unreliable memory):-
dd if=/dev/sdc bs=512 count=1 skip=22026238 | hexdump -C
likewise with the last extended partition, and then the same on the
E(P)BRs 'might' show the error?

I note that's a lot of suspicions, mights, and guesses - but again, I
welcome input and correction.

[*1] I'm guessing, and welcome input - as I suspect would the OP

An interesting problem, sadly the person most likely to know the answer
hasn't been seen on the lists for some time.

Kind regards