Re: udev memory problem when trying to plug a disk with corrupted partition table

On 20/11/14 12:45, Martin Read wrote:

>> AFAIK mdos partition tables don't support anywhere near that number of
>> slices.  :(
>
> MSDOS extended partitions contain a linked list of logical partitions.
> It looks, from the pattern of that table, like the linked list has been
> corrupted so as to form a cycle.

A dd of the first 512 bytes will show you whether you've overextended
your MBR. If you have - that will explain the corruption (dos is limited
to 512b).

The somewhat good news is that it's fixable. You can, provided you
duplicate the original beginning and ends, to convert the MBR to GPT
(use parted) - but it's highly recommended that you backup your data
first. Having said that - if you can back-up the data I'd recommend
using GPT and LVM.

Kind regards