Re: udev memory problem when trying to plug a disk with corrupted partition table

Le 17.11.2014 17:55, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh a écrit :
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Now, fact is that the hard-disk partition table is no longer
correct, and when I plug it (it is an USB HD) into a Debian system,
it makes udev eating all my memory, and more.

Please image the partition table so that someone can reproduce the issue and
fix it... looks like an useful test case :-)

I think that udev crashes, instead of simply acknowledging that it

It is likely triggering a bug somewhere in the load of stuff we run when a
disk is hotplugged to create the links in /dev/by-uuid, etc.

I.e. maybe the bug is not in udev itself.

So, does anyone know how to make udev stopping gracefully to detect
the full list of partitions, and restrict itself to real hardware?

The kernel itself parses the partition table. Did it output any error
messages?

Also, I should probably report that bug, but how could I find more
informations to provide, since I strongly doubt that it can be
reproduced, and so fixed, without the "correct" partition table?

Indeed.  Either preserve enough of that partition table to be able to
reproduce the bug, or give up on it ever being found at the moment you
decide to clean up the disk to be able to use it :-(

I've already built an image of the disk, but it's a 500GB disk. I doubt you'll want to download it hehe. So, what part of that disk should I extract, which could be usable and sharable? Partition table, of course, which is probably at disk's beginning, but how long might it be?