Re: Web site conformance and various browsers

Le 17.11.2014 14:45, songbird a écrit :
sometimes i have issues with a website and i cannot
tell if it is a problem with the browser or a problem
with the website.  obviously i am not a website
developer so this sort of issue isn't clear where i
need to poke at things more...

  are there any tools available which help sort that
out (like one that says "This page conforms to
standards X and Y, but violates a for this part") etc.?

  most the time i use Iceweasel (most current versions
available in testing, sid or experimental) or Midori.
Midori seems to do better and I'm not sure why as i
thought that it used the same basic infrastructure as
Iceweasel.

  any web developers who struggle with this and if I'm
missing something obvious (like use a different browser
like Opera or ...)?

  thanks!

  songbird

The problem with website compatibility can come from lot of problems:
_ I'm not sure that HTML5 is fully supported by all upstream engines (see below) _ it will depends on a browser's configuration, especially about JavaScript (JS) because a huge quantity of websites are... hum... just bloated with that kind of crap. So, plug-ins like adware, or configuration which disables JS can avoid having the same behavior. You can have the same kind of problems with cookies (accepting only a site's cookies avoid things like hotmail to work, and I've seen other ones). _ sites will often voluntarily try to behave differently depending on the browser, in a good start intent, but hell is made of such good intents...
_ sites will sometimes employ specific things of a browser.

About the last point, if it is made correctly, it might not be detected by stuff like w3c's validator.

Otherwise, just for your information:

The problem is not the browser, but the rendering engine behind it.
Firefox/iceweasel is based on gecko (and AFAIK it's the only gecko user), while midori, chrome, and a ton of other ones are based on webkit (to be really more accurate, chrome is based on blink, a fork of webkit. Hopefully this fork might help to not see a new kind of IE era, but I'm pessimistic on that, without real reasons). Even recent opera (starting to version >= 13) versions are based on webkit, so we can currently see more or less 3 major competitors:
_ IE
_ webkit/blink (I have no idea about how much blink differs from webkit, but seriously, if there is only safari using webkit, webkit will just die)
_ gecko

PS: when I think about how crappy all of this is, and that I remember that many people said me that websites runs in the same way everywhere, I just laugh. I try to remember it everyday, since there is a rumor which says that laughing 5min per day is good for health, hehe