Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On 11/16/2014 at 05:58 AM, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 15 Nov 2014 at 19:31:27 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/2014 at 07:21 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>
>>> Yet another topic: It should be possible to install systemd on a
>>> system that already has some other init system installed on it.
>>> This should be tested, but how?
>>
>> If I understand what you mean by "install systemd", then it's
>> trivial:
>>
>> apt-get install systemd
>>
>> That does not switch the active init system to be systemd. Doing
>> *that* would require:
>>
>> apt-get install systemd-sysv
>>
>> and even that, in its turn, does not (automatically?) remove
>> sysvinit-core from the system; you can still boot to it (from a
>> backup-installed location) with a kernel command line option, as a
>> fallback if systemd does break something too badly to even boot.
>
> systemd-sysv and sysvinit-core are not co-installable and this is
> expressed in the Conflicts: for both packages. Installing one
> results in the other being removed.

You're right. I misinterpreted which functionality was provided by which
package.

The backup copy of sysvinit's init binary is provided by the sysvinit
package, not by the sysvinit-core package. I was confused by this
because A: the word "core" seems to imply that the core functionality of
the thing being packaged is present in that package, and B: the sysvinit
package's description claims that if you have systemd working fine, you
can safely remove that package - which I read as implying that the
actual sysvinit init binary must not be in the sysvinit package, because
otherwise it would not be safe to remove it.

I've figured out the real story again now, and I agree that there's a
logic to it; it just wasn't sufficiently intuitive for me last night for
some reason.

--
   The Wanderer