Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On Tue 11 Nov 2014 at 07:42:33 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 11/10/2014 6:18 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> > Am 11.11.2014 um 00:14 schrieb Miles Fidelman:
> >> Ok, then explain to me the procedure for running the installer in such a
> >> way that systemd is never installed, thus avoiding any potential
> >> problems that might result from later uninstallation all the
> >> dependencies that systemd brings in with it.
>
> > Please be specific. What problems of of dependencies are you talking about?
>
> Please stop bring up irrelevant questions and address the question being
> asked.
>
> This does require you to at least understand and acknowledge the
> difference between a *clean* install, and installing something one way,
> then having to uninstall a primary piece and replace it with something else.

systemd is the default init system. That means everyone gets it. You
can only have one init system as PID 1, so that means changing to an
alternative involves removing systemd first. This is basic package
management and applies whether the removal takes place before or after
the install's first boot.

> The two are not the same, and no amount of you trying to act as if they
> are will change the fact that they are not.

"Clean" install is a bogus target. There is not a single technical
advantage in pursuing it as a feature to add to d-i. Changing the init
system within the package management framework works and has no
disadvantages.