Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Am 13.11.2014 um 21:49 schrieb Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:

> On Jo, 13 nov 14, 10:49:44, Amodelo wrote:

Sorry, used the wrong account for answering previously.

>> I am also not interested in testing an ugly work-around (install
>> unwanted A, replace it by B). My servers seem to have similar
>> configurations like those of Miles Fidelman.
>>
>> I definitely want a straight upgrade path with a minimum of problems,
>> and a minimum of wasted time. That’s why I choosed Debian.
>
> The replacing is only necessary on fresh *Jessie* installs.

So I should clone basic Wheezy VMs and then upgrade to Jessie;-)

> Upgrading from Wheezy will probably only require installing
> sysvinit-core before the dist-upgrade step.

I will give it a try on a Xen guest first, which says nearly nothing about upgrading an HA-cluster (wanting minimal downtime).

> systemd *will* be pulled in by any package that requires systemd-logind,
> but that shouldn't be a problem on servers:
>
> $ aptitude search '?depends(libpam-systemd)'
> p   gdm3                            - GNOME Display Manager
> p   gnome-bluetooth                 - GNOME Bluetooth tools
> p   gnome-settings-daemon           - daemon handling the GNOME session settings
> i   lightdm                         - simple display manager
> i A network-manager                 - network management framework (daemon and u
> i A policykit-1                     - framework for managing administrative poli
> i A udisks2                         - D-Bus service to access and manipulate sto
> p   wmshutdown                      - dockapp to shutdown or reboot your machine

Agreed, should work.

But sometimes it can happen, that you didn’t see a dependency of a package on some desktop/Gnome thingy, and bang…

Helmut Wollmersdorfer