Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Am 11.11.2014 um 19:07 schrieb Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org>:

> Le mardi, 11 novembre 2014, 12.34:10 Miles Fidelman a écrit :
>
>> (…)
>> I'm not particularly interested in testing how well install/replace
>> systemd and its dependencies works in our environment (both hypervisor
>> level or guest debootstrapped guest domain).
>
> If I rephrase what you're saying, you're basically expecting others to
> make sure your environment still works as you see fit across the wheezy-
> to-jessie upgrade, right?

I am also not interested in testing an ugly work-around (install unwanted A, replace it by B). My servers seem to have similar configurations like those of Miles Fidelman.

I definitely want a straight upgrade path with a minimum of problems, and a minimum of wasted time. That’s why I choosed Debian.

Exchanging an unwanted package is wasted time and unnecessary risk.

If Debian ignores the needs of the users, they will give up using Debian sooner or later.

On desktops I still gave up using Debian (and using Linux) since Gnome 3, and since I wasted uncountable hours in trying other WMs.

> If you are not doing the work needed, why would others? You seem to be
> projecting very high expectations onto the Debian project and its
> volunteers, without acknowledging the fact that you're getting this work
> exactly for free, which I think is unfair (but that's probably just me).

That has nothing to do with doing unpayed work or not. It’s about choosing technical alternatives.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer