Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On 11/11/2014 2:16 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> New users do not need to be be aware of all the background to the
> choosing of a default init. No advertisement is needed. By definition,
> they do not care. They want Debian. Please let them have it.

Wow... what arrogance...

That is tantamount to treating the debian userbase as lost little
children who need to have all of the important decisions made for them.

> What choice have they lost? Whatever it was, it didn't exist as you imply
> in Wheezy.

Ahem... it didn't exist because it didn't *need* to exist, because
debian hasn't changed its default init system since... when?

Interesting... googling, I couldn't even find out when debian first
started using sysvinit, so I guess it has been for a very long time.

In my opinion, the systemd proponents should have been required to fix
the bug allowing users to easily select the init system at install time
*in wheezy* - *and* commit to keeping it working in jessie - as a
pre-condition of even getting the question of switching to it as the
default for jessie *on the ballot*.