Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Don Armstrong wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Miles Fidelman wrote:
I expressed a judgement that, based on experience, there are potential
problems with installing and then uninstalling a piece of software
with complicated dependencies, that would be avoided by doing a clean
install. I did NOT say that I'd tested that for the specific case of
systemd and sysvinit in Jessie.
There is always a potential for problems.

However, if there are no actual problems, then there's no effective
difference between having systemd-sysv installed at some point in the
installation and then replacing it with sysvinit-core. If you find
actual problems, please file the bugs.

If you're really that concerned about this issue, it's also not that
difficult to roll your own version of d-i which contains the fix for
#668001, and use the --include/exclude options to debootstrap to fix it.

Well, actually, that's next on my agenda. First I have to dig into the details of how to build a custom installer.

Miles