Re: forks, derivatives, other distros - what are you thinking/doing

On Du, 09 nov 14, 04:05:56, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I've started to have trouble mounting the NTFS partition on my machine
> from Linux.  No problem doing this in Windows, of course.  I used to be
> able to mount it from the file manager after entering the root
> password.  Starting a month or so ago, the file manager would
> tantalizingly show me the partition but refuse to let me mount it
> because I didn't have the proveleges.

I can't comment on this since you didn't mention which file manager.

> Finally, it stopped even showing me that partition.  Of course I cann
> still log in as root and mount it from the command line, copy any
> files from it, and chown them to myself.  But it is unnecessarily
> awkward.

If this is not a removable drive you might want to use something like
this in your fstab:

    /dev/sdaX   /media/ntfs     ntfs-3g     uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=113,dmask=002

This would make *all* files on the partition *owned* by user 1000, and
set some umask for them.

Kind regards,
Andrei