Doubt about the release-fitness of a package (gfax)

I just tried to install gfax (in sid), and it crashed on me just as described
in bug 651160.

This has been reported in 2011, is tagged "help", and seems to go
nowhere.

What is the right way to suggest that this package is not ready
for release (I do think if I am not the only one experiencing
the same crash it is probably a general thing, not something
to do with my install), even though there is currently no RC bug
filed?

Add my findigns bug 651160,  and set it to RC (is that considered
rude if a non-developer does it)? Is it even possible (setting to RC)?

Mail the maintainer?

File another bug?

I want to straddle the fine line between "me me me"-type severity inflation
and a genuine feeling that this package should not end up in stable
jessie in its current state. And I do not only want to ask about that
one package, but what is the right thing to do as a user if one finds
bugs like these.

TIA
/ralph
--