Re: forks, derivatives, other distros - what are you thinking/doing

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 14:22:46 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Du, 09 nov 14, 04:05:56, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>
>> I've started to have trouble mounting the NTFS partition on my machine
>> from Linux.  No problem doing this in Windows, of course.  I used to be
>> able to mount it from the file manager after entering the root
>> password.  Starting a month or so ago, the file manager would
>> tantalizingly show me the partition but refuse to let me mount it
>> because I didn't have the proveleges.
>
> I can't comment on this since you didn't mention which file manager.

It's the file manager provided by xfce.  I don't know which one that is.

Ah...  When I started it just now, before the window title said "File
Manager", for a brief moment it said "Thunar".

I wish all desktops had systematic, transparent, naive-user-accessible
ways of identifying what packages or programs are invoked by menu items.

>> Finally, it stopped even showing me that partition.  Of course I can
>> still log in as root and mount it from the command line, copy any files
>> from it, and chown them to myself.  But it is unnecessarily awkward.
>
> If this is not a removable drive you might want to use something like
> this in your fstab:
>
>     /dev/sdaX   /media/ntfs     ntfs-3g
>     uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=113,dmask=002

Works for me.  But just for me.  But there are several /dev/sd* that
might be involved (being dynamically assigned and all), several file
system (but setting the file system to auto might work), and several
users.

Still, it would help.

-- hendrik