Re: Doubt about the release-fitness of a package (gfax)

On Sun 09 Nov 2014 at 12:12:52 +0100, Ralph Aichinger wrote:

> I just tried to install gfax (in sid), and it crashed on me just as described
> in bug 651160.
>
> This has been reported in 2011, is tagged "help", and seems to go
> nowhere.
>
> What is the right way to suggest that this package is not ready
> for release (I do think if I am not the only one experiencing
> the same crash it is probably a general thing, not something
> to do with my install), even though there is currently no RC bug
> filed?
>
> Add my findigns bug 651160,  and set it to RC (is that considered
> rude if a non-developer does it)? Is it even possible (setting to RC)?

Add your findings and reasoning to #651160 and raise its severity to
'grave' (makes the package in question unusable or mostly so). It is
something not to be done lightly so be as sure as you can with your
argument. The maintainer will lower it if it's thought to be over the
top.

> Mail the maintainer?

No. Keep to the BTS.

> File another bug?

Not if you think #651160 fits your situation.