Re: umask has no man page?

<snip>
Perhaps apropos is your friend here?

:$ apropos umask
pam_umask (8)        - PAM module to set the file mode creation mask
As I said in the original, I found it almost immediately.

However, doesn't the Debian policy manual require a man page for every
program?

Not being a DD or DM I cannot possibly comment on this. However:

$: which umask
$:

So umask is _not_ a program (in the sense that there is no binary called umask on the system)
Wouldn't that lead users to try the man system to get help on every
command, since a new or non-technical user would have no way to know that
umask or read or fg is not a "program" but a personality of Bash? So why
_not_ have a man page for them?
I guess because they are not programs (in the above sense). However this is but a guess.

IMO the man system needs you to know what you are looking for. If you do not know umask is a shell builtin then I guess the man system can let you down. Hence apropos, as this, at least, will search for appropriate man pages. One more command to learn perhaps?

Cheers

Iain