Re: umask has no man page?

On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 03:51:25PM +0000, Iain M Conochie wrote:

> On 02/11/14 05:58, Carl Fink wrote:
> >On Sun, 2014-11-02 at 14:17 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> >>Succinct!
> >>
> >>man pam_umask?
> >That is not a solution to the original question I asked, unless you
> >alias it to man umask. You don't _type_ pam_umask.
> >
> >Carl
> Perhaps apropos is your friend here?
>
> :$ apropos umask
> pam_umask (8)        - PAM module to set the file mode creation mask

As I said in the original, I found it almost immediately.

However, doesn't the Debian policy manual require a man page for every
program? Wouldn't that lead users to try the man system to get help on every
command, since a new or non-technical user would have no way to know that
umask or read or fg is not a "program" but a personality of Bash? So why
_not_ have a man page for them?
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!