Re: Monitor does not turn on after suspend

On 26/10/14 21:26, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:27:07 +1100
> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19/10/14 02:54, Marko Ranđelović wrote:
>>> I use Wheezy on desktop computer. I use vesa driver for X because radeon is
>>> not working. After pm-suspend command, computer is like turned off, when press
>>> power button it wakes up, but not monitor and not keyboard.
>>>
>>> I tried --quirk-dpms-on, but didn't help.
>>
>> What about these (together):-
>> --quirk-dpms-suspend
>> --quirk-dpms-on
>> --quirk-vbestate-restore
>> --quirk-vbemode-restore
>> --quirk-vga-mode3
>> --quirk-vbe-post
>
> This doesn't work either.

You'll need to:-
;install either the radeon FOSS driver, or the proprietary driver
;as noted by another poster - add backports to your repostitories list
(then update)
;install the latest debian kernel.(linux-image-3.12-0.bpo.1-$YourCPU)

You'll note I wrote that I'd originally pulled packages from testing to
get this card to work, packages from wheezy-backports should (now) work
for you. (no pinning required).

<snipped>
> With FGLRX driver computer resets when I press power button to wake it
> up, so I am back at vesa.
>
>> NOTE: I've only dealt with suspend and that card when dkms was used.

I've never bothered with VESA, so my success with the same card on
Debian may not be relevant (especially if you only use packages from
Wheezy).

<snipped>

>> Was Wheezy a fresh install or did you upgrade from Squeeze ??
>
> It was a fresh install.

Thank you.

>> What sort of desktop is it (make/model) - if a no-brand, what is the
>> motherboard ??
>>
>> Could you please paste your /var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere e.g.
>> paste.debian.net and post the link in your reply ??
>> HINT: pastebinit is a useful debian package for just that purpose
>
> It's an ordinary PC.

I'm not familiar with that manufacturer - or the options in it's BIOS :)

Could you please provide more information?

If the details are not on the motherboard/case:-

If you have dmidecode installed, as root:-
dmidecode -t 1,2,3 | grep 'Manu\|Prod'

Or, if you have lshw installed, as root:-
lshw -short | head -n 4 | tail -n 2

> There is nothing special in Xorg.log, except that
> the card is not detected.

Surely it shows what *is* detected, what is read from xorg.conf if it
exist, information about your monitor/s, and what is attempted and failed??

Which is why I asked for it... :)

The additional information is required to try and ensure nothing else
(other than drivers and a later kernel) will stop your video card from
functioning properly. There still remains possible problems with module
blacklisting and kernel parameters, which I sometimes find people have
"tried", and forgotten to revert to defaults.

Kind regards