Re: Monitor does not turn on after suspend

On 19/10/14 02:54, Marko Ranđelović wrote:
> I use Wheezy on desktop computer. I use vesa driver for X because radeon is
> not working. After pm-suspend command, computer is like turned off, when press
> power button it wakes up, but not monitor and not keyboard.
>
> I tried --quirk-dpms-on, but didn't help.

What about these (together):-
--quirk-dpms-suspend
--quirk-dpms-on
--quirk-vbestate-restore
--quirk-vbemode-restore
--quirk-vga-mode3
--quirk-vbe-post

> I also tried kernel options noapic and irqpoll, but didn't help either.

AFAIK they won't, unless the problem is a buggy BIOS

> lspci tells my VGA card as:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6613

Sapphire Radeon R7 240 ??

I've installed both the FOSS (radeon) and non-free (fglrx) driver for it
in the past - so vesa would not be necessary. I had to install
fglrx-driver and fglrx-control from testing at the time (over a year
ago) - but the Wheezy or Wheezy backports packages should work fine.
You'll need non-free repositories enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list.

I'd previously installed the FOSS radeon driver (and found it too slow)
which meant I had to blacklist that module to get the Closed Source
driver working - from all reports the card still works very well.

I included the fglrx-modules-dkms to get 3D-accellerated graphics.
The process is documented here (though I used a different method):-
https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#Debian_7_.22Wheezy.22

I'd suggest installing the proprietary driver unless you're happy with
vesa - or, quite reasonably, reject closed source software (in which
case you might have bought a less powerful card).
NOTE: I've only dealt with suspend and that card when dkms was used.

The FOSS radeon driver installation process is described here (a little
dated?):-
https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

> Kind regards

A reference for Suspend is here (note that the information about dkms is
out of date):-
https://wiki.debian.org/Suspend

A reference for debugging Suspend is here:-
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt

Questions:-

Anything useful in /var/log/pm-suspend.log ??

What sort of keyboard ??

Is it a USB keyboard ??

Was Wheezy a fresh install or did you upgrade from Squeeze ??

What sort of desktop is it (make/model) - if a no-brand, what is the
motherboard ??

Could you please paste your /var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere e.g.
paste.debian.net and post the link in your reply ??
HINT: pastebinit is a useful debian package for just that purpose

Kind regards