Re: Monitor does not turn on after suspend

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:27:07 +1100
Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/10/14 02:54, Marko Ranđelović wrote:
> > I use Wheezy on desktop computer. I use vesa driver for X because radeon is
> > not working. After pm-suspend command, computer is like turned off, when press
> > power button it wakes up, but not monitor and not keyboard.
> >
> > I tried --quirk-dpms-on, but didn't help.
>
> What about these (together):-
> --quirk-dpms-suspend
> --quirk-dpms-on
> --quirk-vbestate-restore
> --quirk-vbemode-restore
> --quirk-vga-mode3
> --quirk-vbe-post

This doesn't work either.

> > I also tried kernel options noapic and irqpoll, but didn't help either.
>
> AFAIK they won't, unless the problem is a buggy BIOS
>

> > lspci tells my VGA card as:
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6613
>
> Sapphire Radeon R7 240 ??

Yes, the card is Radeon R7 240, but I'm not sure about Sapphire.
According to Wikipedia this chipset is lauched Oct 8 2013, so not
strange drivers are still not supporting it (well).

> I'd suggest installing the proprietary driver unless you're happy with
> vesa - or, quite reasonably, reject closed source software (in which
> case you might have bought a less powerful card).

With FGLRX driver computer resets when I press power button to wake it
up, so I am back at vesa.

> NOTE: I've only dealt with suspend and that card when dkms was used.
>
> The FOSS radeon driver installation process is described here (a little
> dated?):-
> https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
>

> > Kind regards
> >

> A reference for Suspend is here (note that the information about dkms is
> out of date):-
> https://wiki.debian.org/Suspend

I'll try PM_DEBUG=true. There is an options in BIOS regarding VGA
integrated on board (which is currently disabled) so I'll try it as
well.

> Was Wheezy a fresh install or did you upgrade from Squeeze ??

It was a fresh install.

> What sort of desktop is it (make/model) - if a no-brand, what is the
> motherboard ??
>
> Could you please paste your /var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere e.g.
> paste.debian.net and post the link in your reply ??
> HINT: pastebinit is a useful debian package for just that purpose

It's an ordinary PC. There is nothing special in Xorg.log, except that
the card is not detected.

--
http://markorandjelovic.hopto.org

One should not be afraid of humans.
Well, I am not afraid of humans, but of what is inhuman in them.
    Ivo Andric, "Signs near the travel-road"