debian-installer grub install problem

I need to install wheezy via pxe boot to many (hundreds) of systems.  The problem I am currently running into in my testing is that my boot drive is enumerated by udev as /dev/sdat in many of those systems, and the grub-install routine inside debian-installer will not install to that device...  I already have worked out how to select the proper device with a script in preseed.

Is there a way to manipulate udev rules so that I can force my boot drive to always enumerate as sda, or is there a way to get grub-install to work with more than the first 16 devices (that is where I found it to stop working.... /dev/sdp).

Any suggestions, besides the painfully obvious (and nearly impossible) removal of the extra 45 drives in each of the systems?

Thank you,

Ric