Re: Installing/updating packages are very slow

On 25/10/2014, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sb, 25 oct 14, 19:04:18, Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>> :~# df -h
>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sda8              77G   73G  194M 100% /home
>
> Can't tell if this is the source of you problems, but I've seen all
> sorts of strange failures with a full /home, including X not starting at
> all. You should probably do something about this.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

With the discrepancy shown;
Size: 77G
 Used: 73G
 Avail : 194M
MIA: 4G

I am wondering whether the time has come, for Linux to implement disc
defragmenting.

What I have observed, in insufficient resources (apart from when I run
out of space for downloading incoming email), is notsomuch
insufficient disc space, but, the problem of the memory not swapping
(note the memory usage, and, the swap space usage), leading to things
going wonky.

Also, some times, when the home partition disc space gets close top
running out, and I have to force a reboot for other reasons, the
rebooting magically frees up as much as about 1 to 1.5 gigabyte of
disc space. Strange.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale