Re: Installing/updating packages are very slow

Hello, Cindy.

On 25/10/2014, Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/25/14, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sb, 25 oct 14, 19:04:18, Bret Busby wrote:
>>>
>>> :~# df -h
>>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>>> /dev/sda8              77G   73G  194M 100% /home
>>
>> Can't tell if this is the source of you problems, but I've seen all
>> sorts of strange failures with a full /home, including X not starting at
>> all. You should probably do something about this.
>

> Have tried to follow "df" conversations before and been lost.. For
> some reason, THIS time a piece of it clicked.
>
> To Bret, WOW.. The size there stood out to me because it was only
> recently I manually backed my /home up and incidentally noticed its
> size.. I do a decent amount of personal computing, and my /home is
> only 82MB large. My /home's pretty much just ignored and left to its
> own doing, too.
>
> Won't ask what's in there because that's a personal thing.. Maybe
> there are a lot of downloaded files, documents, images, that kind of
> thing that could be reorganized somewhere else?

My mail (pine -> alpine) directory (and all of the hundred or so
sub-directories) shows as being about 14GB. That includes all (I
think, all) email going back about 12 years or so, apart from incoming
malicious email that I try to get deleted (at one stage, in what I
believe was an attack, I was getting about 300 malicious messages each
hour, for a day or so).

My home partition also includes (as much as it does) backups of my
home partition and a data partition, from a Debian 5 system that I
had, which included partial backup of data from a Debian 4 system; two
partions from the Debian 5 system - one about 18GB and one about 24GB.
In a moving of data, or a disk failure, or something similar, some
years ago, I lost about 20 years of genealogical research data, going
back , in one of the lines, about 400-500 years, that I had got from
one relative, some years ago, I think.

> This is the point where threads sometimes go to the tip of telling our
> browsers to ask us where we want to download things. Alternatively we
> have the CHOICE to also semi-permanently tell many browsers to
> automatically download somewhere other than
> /home/[userName]/Downloads, into a separate dedicated partition, for
> example..

Where I can, I set browsers (I think I have about 5 or 6 that I use,
for different purposes) to ask me where to save downloads, but,
sometimes, one of the browsers; Arora, decides it is time for it to
delete all my settings, so, from time to time, I have to configure it
all over again. About the only thing for which I use the Downloads
directory, for saving downloads, is for sepcial software downloads,
like Opera packages and other packages not in the Debian repositories,
and, iso files, but, after I have written the iso files to optical
discs, I generally either delete the iso files, or, move them to an
external USB drive (and, one of those drives died on me, losing all
the data that I had backed up to it)

> Thumbnails are another place that can accumulate size over time. I'm
> not going to advocate what I do here because I just wing it. I do know
> that at least some how-to's advocate explicitly excluding hidden
> thumbnail folders during backups. I take that to imply thumbnails are
> very fleeting, in other words are "temporary" and easily replaceable..
> *wink*
>
> If your /home stuff is not too personal to share once you discover
> what created that size, it might help others avoid their own 100%..
> They'll know where to proactively avoid the same size issue, if
> nothing else just by creating a larger partition wherever /home
> resides should they happen to have computing habits similar to yours..

When I get the /home partition close to full (usually, when it gets
down to about 100-200MB free, so that I get worried that I might not
be able to download my email for my domain names), I tend to move
movies, etc, on to an external USB hard drive (I have one of those,
that does actually work, at present).

> Just thinking out loud.. :)
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> Cindy-Sue Causey
> Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia, USA
>
> * runs with duct tape *

I suppose that is safer, than running with wolves, and, lighter to carry...

:)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale