Re: Question re: updating debain stable kernels...

Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> On 10/25/2014 10:41 AM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sb, 25 oct 14, 09:07:56, Tanstaafl wrote:

>>> I just updated my wheezy install from 7.5 to 7.7, but I'm surprised
>>> that I wasn't prompted to reboot, as the kernel image was updated:
>>
>> As of Jessie there is 'needrestart', which integrates with apt/dpkg.
>> Other than that some of the DE package managers did some
>> notifications when a restart was needed.

> Ok, thanks, but that didn't answer my question...

> So apparently I need to reboot to be on the new kernel image... but,
> since I wasn't prompted, it apparently isn't important to do so right
> away?

> Just trying to get my head around this.

You won't get a prompt ever. Debian expects the admin to know what he is
doing and act accordingly.

You can install apt-listchanges to get an output of the most recent
changelogs of a package and then decide for yourself if you need to
reboot.

Or you can install the needrestart package (from Jessie, should install
cleanly on Wheezy) and get a notification that way.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.