Re: Installing/updating packages are very slow

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 11:37:32PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 25/10/2014, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sb, 25 oct 14, 19:04:18, Bret Busby wrote:
> >>
> >> :~# df -h
> >> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> >> /dev/sda8              77G   73G  194M 100% /home
> >
> > Can't tell if this is the source of you problems, but I've seen all
> > sorts of strange failures with a full /home, including X not starting at
> > all. You should probably do something about this.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
> >

> With the discrepancy shown;
> Size: 77G
>  Used: 73G
>  Avail : 194M
> MIA: 4G
>
> I am wondering whether the time has come, for Linux to implement disc
> defragmenting.

Some filesystems available in linux *do* support defragmentation: XFS
has xfs_fsr for online defragmentation, just as an example. I believe
there are general-purpose programs that use the same algorithm, too
(copy the file, delete the copy with fewer fragments, repeat).

However, I don't think this "MIA" amount is due to fragmentation, but is
actually the portion reserved for root: 5% of 77 is 3.85 ~= 4.