Re: Installing/updating packages are very slow

On 25/10/14 21:17, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 25/10/2014, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Is this why the Update Manager (on Debian 6 LTS) has stopped working?
>>>
>>> When I try to run Update Manager, I end up having to kill it.
>>>
>>> "
>>> Update Manager (as superuser) is not responding.
>>>
>>> You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the
>>> application to quit entirely.
>>> "
>>>
>>> It displays "Downloading list of changes", or something like that, and
>>> then freezes, and, after five minutes or so, with no change, I have to
>>> kill it.
>>
>> Please post the output of
>>
>>    apt-get update
>>

> "
> :~# apt-get update
> Get:1 http://ftp.au.debian.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg [836 B]
> Ign http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
> Translation-en
> Ign http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
> Translation-en_AU
> Get:2 http://ftp.au.debian.org squeeze-updates Release [113 kB]
> Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org squeeze-updates/main amd64
> Packages/DiffIndex
> Hit http://deb.opera.com stable Release.gpg
> Ign http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable/non-free Translation-en
> Ign http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable/non-free Translation-en_AU
> Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg
> Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
> Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en_AU
> Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
> Hit http://deb.opera.com stable Release
> Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
> Ign http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free amd64 Packages
> Hit http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free amd64 Packages
> Get:3 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts Release.gpg [836 B]
> Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/contrib
> Translation-en
> Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/contrib
> Translation-en_AU
> Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/main Translation-en
> Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/main
> Translation-en_AU
> Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/non-free
> Translation-en
> Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/non-free
> Translation-en_AU
> Get:4 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts Release [28.7 kB]
> Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/main Sources/DiffIndex
> Get:5 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/contrib Sources [14 B]
> Get:6 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/non-free Sources [14 B]
> Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
> Get:7 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/contrib amd64 Packages [14
> B]
> Get:8 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/non-free amd64 Packages [14
> [...]

top?

df -h?

free -m?

anything relevant in /var/log/syslog?

any segfaults in dmesg?

Other, probably peripheral, issues:-

* you have an invalid sources.list.d entry.
Fix with (as root):-
mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list.save /etc/apt

* You 'might' not using the closest/fastest repositories. There are ways
to check, automagically choose the quickest ones. All explained
previously here and on wiki.debian.org.  "# tcptraceroute" to those
repositories will give more information (I don't know your timeout
settings).
If you state your ISP the list 'might' be able to recommend a mirror
that is:-
;close and fast.
;and that your ISP doesn't count against your transfer totals.

* With opera repositories - stable no longer means "squeeze". This (most
likely) does not cause the problems you are experiencing - but it won't
help things.
Change it to "squeeze"[*1]

There should be no problems with you commenting out opera repositories
until you've resolved your current difficulties.

Hope that helps to sort out minor contributing factors to slow updates,
from the main cause

[*1] see - http://deb.opera.com/opera/dists/ for more fine grained
compatibility control options than "[currently]stable"

Kind regards