Re: dpkg "no space left on device" errors (lots of room left)

On 10/22/2014 07:10 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
The faulty package is system-config-printer which linterally creates
millions of files in /tmp [1].

As as side-effect, you'll see that rebooting your system can take ages,
when /tmp is being cleaned up [2] and you likely see output like this:

"a start job is running for Create Volatile files and directories (xx
minutes / no limit)"

Ext4 is highly inefficient apparently when dealing with huge amount of
files in on directory

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=764253
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=766092#62

Michael,

Thanks - that is exactly what I am seeing although it only takes ~15 minutes to clean /tmp on reboot. I will watch for an update and be careful while printing!

John

John Bleichert    -    syborg@earthlink.net
The heat from below can burn your eyes out!