Re: dpkg "no space left on device" errors (lots of room left)

On 10/22/2014 03:00 PM, Iain M Conochie wrote:
<snip>

Try a df -i You may have run out of inodes

Cheers

Iain

Iain: Bingo - I was down to a single-digit number of inodes on / ...

The box became unusable and had to be reset. Upon booting the OS "cleaned up temporary files" and now I'm back to an IUse% of 4% (which sounds about right, I don't store any non-OS data on / ).

This is the second time this has happened, so something is eating up inodes on /. I am going to run some aptitude tests and see what happens.

Any idea what the OS is doing during boot to clean up temporary space? Is it something I can run manually from a terminal?

Thanks for the hint,

John

John Bleichert    -    syborg@earthlink.net
The heat from below can burn your eyes out!