Re: Good news on claws-mail

Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> writes:

> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 14:20:25 +0200
> lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>

>> Since you're re-inventing the wheel:
>>
>> // sxnotify.c
> [...]
>>
>> # aptitude install libsx-dev
>
> Very, very nice!

I'm glad you like it :)  There's also 'xmessage', and it requires you to
click on a button, which I didn't want all the time.

> Not an entanglement in sight.
>
> This is the first I've heard about libsx, but I'll be learning a lot
> more about it. So far I've found:

Libsx is cool --- I started using it almost 20 years ago after looking
around for libs I could use.  Qt was rather new and required C++, gtk
seemed even worse than qt, so I found libsx.

Guess what, libsx still works today like it did 20 years ago :)

>   http://www.ee.usyd.edu.au/tutorials/ee_database/programming/libsx/libsx.html

Yes, the documentation is really good.  It comes with the Debian
package.  It can be a good idea to merge all the parts into one long
text.

> * http://www.nada.kth.se/~sungam/libsx/general.libsx.html
> * /usr/share/doc/libsx-dev/examples
>
> Unfortunately, a 5 minute Google search found no Python implementation
> of libsx. I don't need C for forms: The speed bottleneck is the typist
> anyway.
>
> But then again, I could have somebody define a form in some sort of
> data file, parse that and convert to a simple C program, call gcc to
> make it into an executable. Rapid Application Development, Army Surplus
> style, which of course makes me a pariah in the eyes of "real"
> programmers. Life's tough.

I guess you could.  You can even write pretty large applications with
it.  Just be careful with handling different fonts and colours ...

> Thanks so much for cluing me into this!

yvw :)

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.