Re: GR proposed re: choice of init systems

On Lu, 20 oct 14, 14:27:59, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >On Lu, 20 oct 14, 09:49:24, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >>Well, it's worth noting that in many areas of endeavor, users, or user
> >>communities, write specifications/standards that all players have to meet.
> >>So, for example, when one buys an ethernet card - vendors really do not
> >>really have a choice as to whether or not to implement the standards.
> >Not a good example: Ethernet is an IEEE standard and as far as I
> >understand from Wikipedia this is not a user association, but a
> >professional association.
> >
> >>With Linux distros, including the kernel and implementing the LSB are pretty
> >>much things everyone has to meet (with a few notable exceptions like
> >>GNU/kFreeBSD - though arguably that's not Linux).
> >Would you please be so kind to explain how systemd breaks LSB?
> >

> These are both situations where  folks other than "those who do the work"
> have a lot of say in what work gets done.

According to Wikipedia:

- the IEEE has about 425000 members. Do you mean none of them are
  actually working in the industry? See highly unlikely to me.

- the LSB is a joint project of several Linux distributions. Ironically:

  "The LSB has been criticized for not taking input from projects, most
  notably the Debian project, outside the sphere of its member
  companies."

Kind regards,
Andrei