Re: Good news on claws-mail

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 19:19:26 +0200
Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:

> berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
>
> > I guess that claws uses (lib)dbus to notify dbus-compliant
> > softwares that there is a new mail.
>
> Also claws might get a signal from (for example) network-manager if
> there is a connection available to toggle its offline/online mode to
> avoid unnecessary tries to connect to the mailserver while offline.
>
> Or to change to polling rate if the device is on battery to conserve
> power.
>
> There are many reasons why a software might want to communicate things
> to other running applications and the standard way of doing so has
> become Dbus.

Here's the official answer as to how Claws uses dbus:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 12:15:34 -0500
»Q« <boxcars@gmx.net> wrote:

> I don't use networkmanager and I don't use any local MTA.  Does C-M
> use dbus for anything else?

Avant Window Navigator support, and the experimental new address
book, which is not packaged, and disabled by default.

with regards

Paul

Reading the preceding, it looks to me like it's used for some fairly
arcane enhancements to the basics of Claws-Mail.

SteveT