Re: Openbox systemd-free

On 17 October 2014 13:02, Pete Orrall <pete@cs1x.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 1:03 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The first task of my project is done. Openbox is systemd-free, and is
>> intended to be systemd free. So that will form the GUI foundation. I'll
>> come back in the next few days with some systemd-free panels that go
>> well with Openbox, as well as a lock program.
> <snip>
>
> Steve,
>
> I use Openbox as my primary wm, along with the following tools for
> added functionality:
>
> tint2 - highly configurable taskbar
> nitrogen - wallpaper manager
> obconf - Openbox config tool
> obmenu - graphical Python app to manage the Openbox menu instead of the XML file
> openbox-themes - more themes
> xscreensaver - Create an obmenu entry to lock your system with the
> following command: xscreensaver-command -lock
>
> I created an autostart.sh file in my ~/.config/openbox directory which
> starts tint2, nitrogen, and xscreensaver upon login.  Both tint2 and
> nitrogen need their config files tweaked after installing the
> packages.  If you'd like, I can send you mine.
>
>> So far my research is telling me that wicd command line is systemd free
>> (if anyone knows to the contrary, please let me know), so I'll probably
>> put a small front end on wicd.
>
> There is a GTK front end package called wicd-gtk.  Other wicd front
> ends exist too:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&searchon=names&keywords=wicd
>
> --
> Pete Orrall
> pete@cs1x.com
> www.peteorrall.com
> "If there isn't a way, I'll make one."
>

> --

Hello

On my Jessie laptop with sysvinit, X and IceWM updated to today
installing wicd with --no-install-recommends brings dbus,
wpasupplicant and wireless-tools with it.

So I just use wpasupplicant in roaming mode with wpa-gtk as I need
basically wifi in four locations. Not bothering with wicd itself.

Cheers
--
Keith Burnett
http://sohcahtoa.org.uk/