Re: Openbox systemd-free

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 1:03 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The first task of my project is done. Openbox is systemd-free, and is
> intended to be systemd free. So that will form the GUI foundation. I'll
> come back in the next few days with some systemd-free panels that go
> well with Openbox, as well as a lock program.
<snip>

Steve,

I use Openbox as my primary wm, along with the following tools for
added functionality:

tint2 - highly configurable taskbar
nitrogen - wallpaper manager
obconf - Openbox config tool
obmenu - graphical Python app to manage the Openbox menu instead of the XML file
openbox-themes - more themes
xscreensaver - Create an obmenu entry to lock your system with the
following command: xscreensaver-command -lock

I created an autostart.sh file in my ~/.config/openbox directory which
starts tint2, nitrogen, and xscreensaver upon login.  Both tint2 and
nitrogen need their config files tweaked after installing the
packages.  If you'd like, I can send you mine.

> So far my research is telling me that wicd command line is systemd free
> (if anyone knows to the contrary, please let me know), so I'll probably
> put a small front end on wicd.

There is a GTK front end package called wicd-gtk.  Other wicd front
ends exist too:

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&searchon=names&keywords=wicd

--
Pete Orrall