Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:27:14AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 10/14/2014 11:09 AM, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@43-1.org> wrote:
> > In a quest to ensure your personal happiness the systemd maintainers
> > took your problem and changed udev to assign predictable names to
> > network interfaces.
>
> And which resulted in much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Indeed. it seems predictable device naming is a problem so hard it has been
"solved" three times now. I've never met anyone who had the problem it was
designed to fix, although I'm sure they exist. I've been bitten by the
solution many times now. (centos in particular seems to be particularly
tricky; I haven't proved it but I could swear it stuffs Macaddr->ethX mappings
in the initrd to repopulate all the other places you've deleted it from).
Personally I think this is one place where the drawbacks outweigh the gains.