Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 14/10/14 23:54, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Lu, 13 oct 14, 18:30:41, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Gee.... assuming that you don't run anything that has systemd
dependencies
and/or systemd-shim is actually maintained and kept up-to-date.
Have you actually looked into what depends on systemd?

Trying to.

As a start - anything that depends on udev and logging come to mind; all
services that require startup (hmm... I run a server, not a desktop - so
that would be pretty much everything).

Miles Fidelman

Miles,
       sounds like the selection criteria for LinuxFromScratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
or maybe revive Debian for Scratch instead of relying on a progressive,
"Universal" OS that struggles to fund LTS and is reliant on upstream for
the majority of development. Embracing diversity and conservatism
(aversion to change) can be "a bit of a stretch".

How do you come to that conclusion.

For at least a decade, maybe two, Debian has been one on the short list for linux distros suitable for use on servers, and has been viewed as a distro for knowledgeable users - and a lot of that has come from flexibility and a very good packaging system. Lots of important server-side stuff are designed for Debian first (e.g., Xen).

So, apparently, that's changed. (I guess, if libreoffice is no. 2 in the popcon stats, desktop use now dominates. Sigh...)
DISCLAIMER: I'm happy with squeeze lts on servers - slowly being
transitioned to Wheezy where end-user requirements demand more modern
apps and libraries (I can't ignore end-users, ymmv).
In some instances I pre-populate /dev (low-resource devices), but mostly
I have no issues with udev. Systemd is something I'll deal with in a few
*years*.

Actually, udev is the ONLY thing I've had issues with in over a decade of production use. Changed out a nic card, and everything changed - because udev decided to assign the new interface to some other port (or some such - it's been a while). A completely unexpected behavior, hard to track down, poorly documented. Given that the players are the same, and the scope is much larger, this gives me lots of reservations about systemd.

[*1]
I suspect enough to support a tightly-focussed server OS (if you can
herd cats?) - maybe a Debian derivative? Strip out all the DE packages
and it might be do-able...

That used to be Debian.

Miles Fidelman