Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On 14/10/14 23:54, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> On Lu, 13 oct 14, 18:30:41, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>>> Gee.... assuming that you don't run anything that has systemd
>>> dependencies
>>> and/or systemd-shim is actually maintained and kept up-to-date.
>> Have you actually looked into what depends on systemd?
>>

> Trying to.
>
> As a start - anything that depends on udev and logging come to mind; all
> services that require startup (hmm... I run a server, not a desktop - so
> that would be pretty much everything).
>
> Miles Fidelman

Miles,
      sounds like the selection criteria for LinuxFromScratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
or maybe revive Debian for Scratch instead of relying on a progressive,
"Universal" OS that struggles to fund LTS and is reliant on upstream for
the majority of development. Embracing diversity and conservatism
(aversion to change) can be "a bit of a stretch".

It seems that what you 'want' is contrary to what the majority of Debian
developers demonstrably don't want - that's not to say there isn't *any*
demand for it. I don't know how many of the silent majority share your
views[*1], but perhaps you might find support in such a project. Perhaps
that would be a more productive and less stressful experience?

DISCLAIMER: I'm happy with squeeze lts on servers - slowly being
transitioned to Wheezy where end-user requirements demand more modern
apps and libraries (I can't ignore end-users, ymmv).
In some instances I pre-populate /dev (low-resource devices), but mostly
I have no issues with udev. Systemd is something I'll deal with in a few
*years*.

[*1]
I suspect enough to support a tightly-focussed server OS (if you can
herd cats?) - maybe a Debian derivative? Strip out all the DE packages
and it might be do-able...

Kind regards

--
"Canute began by being a Bad King on the advice of his Courtiers who
informed him (owing to a misunderstanding of the Rule Britannia) that