Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
Hi Miles,

On 10/14/2014 16:54, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Actually, udev is the ONLY thing I've had issues with in over a decade
of production use.  Changed out a nic card, and everything changed -
because udev decided to assign the new interface to some other port (or
some such - it's been a while).  A completely unexpected behavior, hard
to track down, poorly documented.  Given that the players are the same,
and the scope is much larger, this gives me lots of reservations about
systemd.
In a quest to ensure your personal happiness the systemd maintainers
took your problem and changed udev to assign predictable names to
network interfaces. See [1], note that "Stable interface names even when
hardware is added or removed, i.e. no re-enumeration takes place" is
listed as a feature.

Ansgar

   [1]
<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>

Sarcasm not appreciated.

Then again:
- it only took >5years, and up to v197 - to restore behavior to the pre-udev behavior - looks like the developers attribute unpredictable device naming to the kernel - which is kind of funny, because the unpredictable behavior came in with udev

Miles Fidelman