Re: Moderated posts?

On 10/13/2014 7:18 PM, lee wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> writes:
>
>> And, in fact, more and more ISPs are just accepting and discarding
>> emails to non-existent users because rejecting such email helps spammers
>> (any non-rejected email must be a valid user).
>
> That's totally retarded.  When I don't get an error message in return,
> the message I sent has been delivered.  If it hasn't because there's
> some error, I will not be responsible for any damage that may hit the
> recipient or myself.  Quietly dropping messages is not an option.

You get no message indicating the email has been delivered.  The best
you can get from the MTA is that it has been accepted by the MTA.  What
happens after that time is not covered by the RFCs.  The user may or may
not pick it up, for instance.  You have no idea, nor do you have any
control over that.  That's why there is a "Return Receipt" option for
email - it indicates the user has opened the email (which he/she may or
may not return).

And it is perfectly legal for an MTA to just drop an email.  Many do
because it doesn't expose who their real users are (by otherwise not
returning an error message).

Jerry