Re: debian-advocacy?

On 14Oct14:0837+1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

> On 14/10/2014 8:32 AM, John Hasler wrote:

> > Andrei POPESCU writes:

> >> Without an accurate count I'd say only about 1% (or less) of the
> >> subscribers are actually participating in these discussion.
> >
> > 1% participation in any discussion on a list such as this would be very
> > large.  Passing a GR to take Debian closed-source and relicense
> > everything under the Microsoft EULA probably wouldn't get 2% to speak
> > up. (No, I'm not proposing that nor do I think that it could happen.)
>
> Hahaha M$ EULA .... I'm sure if they are watching, they'll be laughing
> their own heads off over the debacle of systemd for Linux (not just for
> Debian).
>
> Yes, of Debian user base, subscribers vs posters, 1% is huge!  We aren't
> talking about a hobby project here -- most users are able to deal with
> many problems without needing to post to DU list.  Many watch and never
> respond.

And that is good since the traffic of just 1% is more than
many here can bear.  But it is bad because we won't have a
clue what the silent majority thinks until they quietly stop
using Debian or not.  Jessie may need to be widely considered
the Vista of Debian releases before a majority of DDs are
willing to revisit the init default.

The is currently no means to garner meaningful data about
Jessie's approval ratings, which likely means the release
team will, as usual, just guess what will fly.  They've
had an enviable run, to be sure.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________