Re: debian-advocacy?

also sprach David L. Craig <dlc.usa@gmail.com> [2014-10-14 00:16 +0200]:
> Jessie may need to be widely considered the Vista of Debian
> releases before a majority of DDs are willing to revisit the init
> default.

Meanwhile, everyone who thinks this was the wrong decision should
work to ensure that sysvinit continues to work, and should try to
break dependencies between software and what some people think are
essentials for the desktop.

Or engage with upstream and help shape systemd so it eventually
reaches Debian standards…

> The is currently no means to garner meaningful data about
> Jessie's approval ratings, which likely means the release
> team will, as usual, just guess what will fly.  They've
> had an enviable run, to be sure.

The benefits of Debian, its policy and this community still far
outweigh the problems imposed by systemd. And most alternatives also
(will have to) incorporate systemd, so the only thing you can argue
is that systemd is currently weighing down the quality of Linux in
general. But it's open-source and we can make it ours and better.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> @martinkrafft
: :'  :  proud Debian developer

"the condition of perfection is idleness.
 the aim of perfection is youth."
                                                        -- oscar wilde