Re: debian-advocacy?

David L. Craig wrote:
On 14Oct14:0837+1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

On 14/10/2014 8:32 AM, John Hasler wrote:
Andrei POPESCU writes:
Without an accurate count I'd say only about 1% (or less) of the
subscribers are actually participating in these discussion.
1% participation in any discussion on a list such as this would be very
large.  Passing a GR to take Debian closed-source and relicense
everything under the Microsoft EULA probably wouldn't get 2% to speak
up. (No, I'm not proposing that nor do I think that it could happen.)
Hahaha M$ EULA .... I'm sure if they are watching, they'll be laughing
their own heads off over the debacle of systemd for Linux (not just for
Debian).

Yes, of Debian user base, subscribers vs posters, 1% is huge!  We aren't
talking about a hobby project here -- most users are able to deal with
many problems without needing to post to DU list.  Many watch and never
respond.
And that is good since the traffic of just 1% is more than
many here can bear.  But it is bad because we won't have a
clue what the silent majority thinks until they quietly stop
using Debian or not.  Jessie may need to be widely considered
the Vista of Debian releases before a majority of DDs are
willing to revisit the init default.

THAT'S the analogy I was looking for!  Thanks!

Miles