Re: Prolem with external monitor

On Ma, 14 oct 14, 03:59:04, Bret Busby wrote:

> Apart from the politics of the free vs proprietary software, what do
> you know of any differences (as in advantages/disadvantages, if any)
> between the two driver types?

In my experience nouveau is slower (the primary reason I keep going back
to nvidia), but better much better integrated with the rest of the
system (I have some obscure bugs with nvidia that just don't happen with
nouveau).

> Note wheezy-backports does not contain the newer
> xserver-xorg-video-intel package that is needed by newer intel cards.
> If you find yourself stuck with the fbdev or vesa driver then you'll
> need to upgrade to jessie or sid.

This is about backports, you're still on pure wheezy (as far as you told
us).

> I am wondering whether it is all getting too complicated, as, with
> your reference to the vesa thing, the above seems to suggest that I
> need to go to testing (if that is "jessie") or experimental (= sid).

Only if xserver-xorg-video-intel in *backports* doesn't support your
card. This is still unknown at this point.

> If I use the backports thing, to go to a newer kernel, would that be
> compatible with the Debian 7 system as it stands, or, would I end up
> with a hybrid (mixture of stable and testing) system?

In my opinion backports is the safest method to enhance an otherwise
stable system and I've used them successfully. Do respect the
instructions and only install select backports.

Kernels in particular are safer than most other packages, especially
since you can always boot with the stable kernel if something doesn't
work as expected.

Kind regards,
Andrei