Re: Prolem with external monitor

On Monday 13 October 2014 20:59:04 Bret Busby wrote:
> If I use the backports thing, to go to a newer kernel, would that be
> compatible with the Debian 7 system as it stands, or, would I end up
> with a hybrid (mixture of stable and testing) system?

Yes, it would be compatible.  I have done this on at least three boxen at
least five times, and then upgraded the backported kernel, and so far it has
always been successful - and solved the problem I was trying to solve.

The Wheezy box I am typing this on was upgraded to 3.10 from backports, has
been upgraded as upgrades were available, and is currently on 3.14.

I generally leave at least four kernels:  the Wheezy standard one, the first I
upgraded to, the most recent and the one immediately before the most recent.
I have then got lots of room to get out of trouble.

Lisi