Prolem with external monitor

Hello.

I have a 23" monitor, that I want to use with two of my laptop
computers (not at the same time).

I have a 15" laptop, with an i3 CPU, running Debian 6 LTS and GNOME2.

With the external monitor connected and switched on, upon bootup, the
external monitor is automatically operational, and, replaces the
laptop display.

That is good.

The other laptop has a 17" display and an i7CPU, and is running Debian
7.x and LXDE.

With that laptop, with the external monitor connected and switched on,
upon boot up and during a boot session, the external monitor does not
work, and, is apparently not visible to the computer. The laptop
display is operational, and no signal appears to be going from the
laptop. Synaptic shows lxrandr to be installed, but the exernal
monitor is not detected.

In Preferences -> Monitors, only one monitor is shown; the laptop display.

I also tried logging in to a GNOME Classic session, but got the same result.

Both scenario's involve the use od a VGA cable and connection to the
VGA socket on each of the respective laptops. That it is using the
supplied VGA cable, and not aDVI or HDMI cable, is not a problem for
me, as I find the resolution to be good enough for me.

How do I get the external monitor to be detected, and, work, with the
Debian7/LXDE system?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby