Re: Prolem with external monitor

On 14/10/2014, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Lu, 13 oct 14, 12:19:51, Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>> This is the first attemt to send that file as an attachment.
>> [    35.167] (--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:0416:1025:0781 rev 6, Mem @
>> 0xd3000000/4194304, 0xc0000000/268435456, I/O @ 0x00005000/64
>> [    35.167] (--) PCI: (0:1:0:0) 10de:0fe4:1025:0781 rev 161, Mem @
>> 0xd2000000/16777216, 0xa0000000/268435456, 0xb0000000/33554432, I/O @
>> 0x00004000/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
>
> Your laptop has two graphical adapters, a.k.a. Nvidia Optimus. This
> needs special support, see
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee
>
>> [    36.697] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
>
> You Xorg is falling back to vesa, though it should be using intel. Since
> it seems like you will need backports anyway you might as well get a
> newer kernel and xserver-xorg-video-intel.

Thank you for that.

On the bumblebee (I like bumblebees, but haven't seen one for about 40
years, I think) wiki web page, reference is made to choosing between
the free nouveau driver, and the proprietary nVidia driver.

Apart from the politics of the free vs proprietary software, what do
you know of any differences (as in advantages/disadvantages, if any)
between the two driver types?

I believe that the Ubuntu installation, uses the nouveau driver.

Regarding your last paragraph above, regarding a newer kernel, etc, I
note that, on the backports web page at
http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
is

"
Backports cannot be tested as extensively as Debian stable, and
backports are provided on an as-is basis, with risk of
incompatibilities with other components in Debian stable. Use with
care!

It is therefore recommended to select single backported packages that
fit your needs, and not use all available backports.
"

With that, and, with the web page at x
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Version_195.36.31
referring to

"
For support of GeForce 6xxx and higher GPUs (supported devices). For
older devices, see Version 173.14.35 (legacy GPUs) and Version
96.43.23 (legacy GPUs).

Add "contrib" and "non-free" components to /etc/apt/sources.list, for example:
# Debian 7 "Wheezy"
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
Update the list of available packages. Install the appropriate
linux-headers and kernel module packages:
# aptitude update
# aptitude -r install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,')
nvidia-kernel-dkms
This will also install the recommended nvidia-glx package. DKMS will
build the nvidia module for your system.
Create an Xorg server configuration file.
"

With that, and, from the bumblebee wiki web page instructions

"
Installation

>From repository
Sid and Jessie users can install everything directly from the official
repositories.

For users who would like to use the free nouveau driver:

sudo apt-get install bumblebee primus

For users who would like to use the proprietary nvidia driver (again,
requires contrib and non-free enabled in your sources.list):

sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia primus

Users running a 64-bit system who want to take advantage of Bumblebee
with the primus backend when running 32-bit applications will also
want to install primus-libs:i386. This requires Multiarch support.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update && sudo
apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386

Wheezy users can install everything directly from backports.

sudo apt-get install -t wheezy-backports bumblebee primus

-or-
sudo apt-get install -t wheezy-backports bumblebee-nvidia primus

-or-
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update && sudo
apt-get install -t wheezy-backports bumblebee-nvidia primus
primus-libs:i386

Note wheezy-backports does not contain the newer
xserver-xorg-video-intel package that is needed by newer intel cards.
If you find yourself stuck with the fbdev or vesa driver then you'll
need to upgrade to jessie or sid.
"

I am wondering whether it is all getting too complicated, as, with
your reference to the vesa thing, the above seems to suggest that I
need to go to testing (if that is "jessie") or experimental (= sid).

If I use the backports thing, to go to a newer kernel, would that be
compatible with the Debian 7 system as it stands, or, would I end up
with a hybrid (mixture of stable and testing) system?

My wife had a hybrid system, years ago, from memory, something to do
with trying to get mono (a Linux version of a subset of .NET) to work,
and the hybrid system presented problems in itself.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."